Explore the API using Postman¶
To discover the API interactively, using Postman is recommended.
The Chrome-Extension version of Postman is deprecated and it is recommended to use the native app available instead.
To easily follow links returned by request based on the API,
- go to the menu under the wrench icon on the top right
- choose Settings
- activate the option Retain headers on clicking on links by selecting ON:
This option makes sure, once a HTTP-Header is configured, it will be reused during following requests , if these are initiated by clicking on links resulting from the initial request. This way navigating the structure using the API becomes a snap.
The option Send anonymous usage data to Postman should be deactivated by setting to OFF.
Now set the appropriate HTTP headers.
- The Authorization Header for the authentication related to the right user
- The Accept Header to initiate the right behaviour by the API related to this Request.
You have to select
- in the drop-down menu Basic Auth as the authentication method the term
- A valid existing user with appropriate permissions
After providing these parameters you can create the resulting Authorization Header and insert it into the prepared request by clicking on Preview Request.
Under the Headers tab you now need to insert in the Accept Header application/json` header as well:
The request is now ready and can be send by clicking on Send button.
The Response of the server is now displayed below the Request. You can easily follow the links on the
@id attributes by clicking on them. For every link Postman has prepared another request sharing the same headers that can be send again by licking on the Send button.
You can now explore the whole stucture of your application easily via the API using GET requests.